Monday, March 2, 2009

strange feelings...

it's monday.

i'm not sick. not on holiday. not on 'vacation' as it's usually perceived. and...

not at work.

after being on one project for the past 3 years, working with the same people over the course of that time, this is the first day in 3 years that i'm not walking down the stairs, and making my way over to work. i'm not flashing my badge to the rotation of 5 or 6 security guards that man the desk below the entrance. i'm not pushing the 3rd floor button on the elevator to take me to my floor. i'm not walking down the hallway, seeing co-workers/friends that i've had the pleasure of being aquainted with. i'm not sitting down in my cube, turning on my computer, and walking over to my client to ask how her weekend went.

no meetings, no phone calls, no joshing with my co-workers about who's making coffee in the morning or where to go for lunch. no budget-to-actuals, no status calls, no tapping of keyboards except my own. no updates from fellow neighbors about cal basketball. no cubemates to ask how my weekend went, or to 'cramp my style' (just kidding Kristy :) )

just... me. resetting.

a sense of nostalgia washes over me. it's amazing how a sense of routine, a sense of seeing certain people on a daily basis... how it almost felt like a second home, and somewhat like a second family. people i cared about, both professionally and personally. hoping that in that day, i could help them succeed both professionally and personally in whatever capacity i could. you would think that there would be a sense of elation that comes with taking an extended leave as i have, an excitement of what is to come. no doubt there is, and i'm sure that such feelings will grow in time. but for now, on day 1, there is a sense of longing, a little bit of sadness.

i will miss you all.

2 comments:

  1. from the queen of vacationing herself, i think you are on an excellent start to what will be an adventure of a lifetime. can't wait to hear about your time in paris and to live vicariously!

    also, i'm happy to keep you updated about cal bball news...but only the good news.

    have fun quinnie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks yongs! keep me updated on cal basketball cuz i just saw that we just lost to ASU and that's making me all sorts of upset right before my flight!

    ReplyDelete